- Kodo millets (Arikelu) – 1 cup
- Fresh coconut grated – 1/4 cup
- Fresh coconut pieces – handful/fistful
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 small spoon
- Jaggery – 3/4 cup
- Ripe Banana – 1
- Ghee – 3 spoons
- • Soak Arikelu for 4-6 hours, strain the water and grind it into a paste along with grated coconut and banana.
- • Make jaggery syrup with light string consistency and let it cool. Roast the coconut pieces in ghee. Add the above mixture, cardamom, and roasted coconut pieces to the syrup.
- • Heat paniyaram mold on the stove. Grease the slots with ghee. Pour the prepared mixture into the slots of the paniyaram mold and fry till golden brown. Tasty and healthy Arika sweet appams would be ready.
- • These appams can be made with all types of millets.
- • If we don’t like Banana flavor, we can add a fistful of cooked rice.